Moroccan Chicken and Lentil Curry
Winter is on it’s way and it is a great time to pre-prepare delicious meals. One of the best investments I have ever made in the kitchen is purchasing a slow cooker. You can prepare a delicious meal in about 20 minutes and then leave it to cook while you get on with something else. There are so many more fun things to do in life than slave in the kitchen all day.
I am into efficiency and I hate mess; so I hope you find this recipe that I prepared on the weekend as easy as I did.
The Moroccan Chicken Curry is packed with protein, is high in fibre; and is also gluten and sugar free.
Cook this dish in a slow cooker or large pot and serve with a green vegetable of your choice. I find green beans are great with a curry.
HOT TIP – freeze extra portions for future meals
Vegetarian version; swap chicken for sweet potato
1 cup dry red lentils
2 brown onions
3 cloves garlic
2 cups Campbell’s chicken stock
3 teaspoons sweet paprika
3 teaspoons cumin
3 teaspoons turmeric
3 bay leaves
2 teaspoons dried chillies
4 ripe tomatoes
1 x 140g tub tomato paste
1 kg chicken thigh fillets
1 cup fresh chopped basil
salt and pepper to season
vegetable oil for frying
1. Rinse and drain red lentils and place in the slow cooker with the chicken stock on high before starting to prepare the other ingredients
2. Peel and roughly chop the onions and mince the garlic.
3. In a lightly oiled large fry pan, fry off onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes and place in the slow cooker with the lentils
4. Roughly chop the tomatoes and lightly fry in the same fry pan (for flavour, efficiency and less dishes to wash) and then add to the slow cooker
5. Add paprika, cumin, turmeric, bay leaves, dried chillies and tomato paste to the slow cooker and season with salt and pepper
6. Trim and roughly chop the chicken thigh fillets and lightly brown in the same fry pan and then add to the slow cooker
7. Mix all ingredients thoroughly and then add the chopped basil
8. Turn the slow cooker down to low and cook for 4 hours
9. Serve with green vegetables of your choice
Find more delicious recipes and food combinations to stabilise your blood sugar levels in Happy Mind Formula – Your Action Plan to Mental and Physical Wellbeing